Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: RG6 coaxial for audio
#81246 02/11/05 12:40 AM
shareholder in the making
Charlie, 1694A would be more than adequate(with emphasis on "more")and a RG59 type of cable such as 1505F would be easier to handle and costs a bit less. Unless you're talking about a long run from a satellite dish coming in from outside at about a gigahertz frequency, the slightly lower loss of RG6 type cable isn't of much significance. That type of cable would of course also be fine for audio use and there's no need to consider the nonsense of Monster and other similar products.

For the speaker wire, nothing available is better than regular lamp cord in gauges from 12 to 16, depending on the length of the run.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#81247 02/11/05 01:08 PM
devotee
devotee
I'm going to start a new speaker wire company called "Pizza Cable".

Would either one of you lawyer types care to help me sue Italy?

Only kidding...

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#81248 02/11/05 02:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
pizza is american

------------------------------------------------
Leave the gun, Take the canolis.
#81249 02/11/05 04:10 PM
aficionado
aficionado
"Nothing available is better than regular lamp cord".

I didn't expect such an ABSOLUTE proclamation from one of the forum's most "scientific members"....especially, championing...............LAMP CORD?

I can understand you endorsing the use of 12 gauge speaker wire, with it's many fine strands of "pure" copper wire, and usually better insulation etc. but,.....LAMP CORD?................(you ARE talking about the stiff, thicker stranded, easily corroded, poorly insulated, ugly brown lamp cord, right?).

I'm sorry,.......I've tried that type of "cord"....and IMO, recommending that wire is ridiculous.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#81250 02/11/05 04:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thank's for the pro bono, legalese.

I think Mc Donald's had many similar trademark issues with other, small burger stands.
I seem to remember a "mickey d's".....and there were other such "copy cat" name versions.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
#81251 02/11/05 09:29 PM
buff
buff
Since we're talking wire, I've got two questions.

One, we all know about the "Monster" issue, yet I've seen a lot of people endorsing companies that charge $20-40 a cable(interconnects) just like monster. Are the cables by other companies so much better than monster for the same price? or simply a preference on how they look, and what the individual percieves as a good value?

Two, relating to above, is it possible to get great performance out of RG6U coax for video and audio (with the right connectors) as some of these brand name cables? I know they'd be a bit stiff for interconnects, but is the cable thick and shielded enough for a high level of performance?

Lastly, I guess there was three questions, how much should one plan to spend on cables? I know it's subjective, and everyone's got different standards of what they think a cable should either perform or appear. But, with Bluejeans/Monster/Bettercables/Acoustic Research/ect, these are all going to run into the $20-40 range. Is that the sweet spot for cost? Or is there something better for less cost, or spend a little more on this cable(insert) that does make a difference in picture or audio quality?

OK, now . . . breathe . . . breathe . . .

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
#81252 02/11/05 10:53 PM
devotee
devotee
In reply to:

pizza is american

Actually, it has been around in various shapes and forms longer than America has been in existance. What we know as pizza today doesn't resemble the original Italian / Greek pizza of old. Here is a pretty accurate history of pizza.

As to cables. Pay more for looks, better connectors, or better shielding (IF you really need it), or special insulating materials (if pulling through walls, check local codes for requirements). At the voltage, current, and frequency levels used in audio - copper is copper. Silver is a better conductor, but there is no need to go there for speaker connections as any differences wouldn't be audible. The length of the run combined with the gauge determines resistance, so use the right size for the length of your runs.

LT, what did you find wrong with lamp cord? It is exactly the same as "speaker" wire except that the insulation is not clear.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#81253 02/12/05 03:30 AM
David, the question about cables and speaker wire really shouldn't be "subjective" if the question is simply one of sound quality rather than matters such as cosmetics or prestige. Transmission of power and signals is a relatively trivial technical problem that's accomplished at very low cost. Specifically as to RG6 again, although it's fine, it's unnecessary to use cables that thick for the lengths and frequencies involved in the home. Note that Belden's numbers on their RG59, RG6 and RG11 cable illustrate that the differences in attenuation between 59 and 6 are negligible at the lengths and frequencies(about 5-30MHz for the various digital audio and TV formats)used in the home. A somewhat less expensive cable than the ones you mentioned is the Dayton cable from Parts Express. None of these have any advantage in basic transmission ability over the even less expensive cables of the type often included with players, but they may look a little better and last a lifetime.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#81254 02/12/05 06:16 AM
buff
buff
I've seen the Dayton's on Parts Express, or the RS Gold's, and question if those are the price point people really don't need to exceed. I know the brain washing that's taken place in the cable industry, but can one assume there is some value, if not much, to be had over OTB cables?

I actually own some of those cables. I've got a Monster Sub cable, AR and OTB interconnects, and seem to have a good sounding system(currently). But that's maybe because my hardware isn't as detailed as the stuff(M80 or M60, QS8, VP150, SVS sub) I'm getting in about a month or so. The new speakers, A/V receiver, DVD player, ect, may bring out the flaws in those cables. Maybe I won't be able to tell the difference, who knows.

I only mention RG6U because: A)It's cheap B)I've got a bunch of it C)If one could use it for all there audio and video, you could really save a bundle. I'm sure people are out there that wouldn't even consider that option. I'm only trying to learn what's possible, and what we can do to achieve a full sounding HT system without short-changing ourselves.

[blue] "Welcome to my sky! Now buckle in for the ride!" [/blue]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup