Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anyone bypass video signals through the receiver?
#82865 02/25/05 02:39 AM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Because of my setup it is looking like I might have to bypass my video signals through the receiver and simply go from DVD player straight to display. Anyone here do this? I am wondering simply because of the lip sync problem that occasionally happens and just wondering some details on why it happens (certain brands of tv? Display types? DVI connections being used?) and if I need to get a receiver with AV delay capabilities.

Re: Anyone bypass video signals through the receiv
#82866 02/25/05 06:42 AM
buff
buff
If I understand you right. You want to go from your DVD player straight to your TV with out your video going through your AV receiver. This is the only way I have had mine hooked up. I have never had any problems with the video not in sync with the audio. I just don't see the advantage of buying another set of component cables just to route the video through my reciever. But I'm very new at this too. I'm sure you will get more input from some one that knows more than I do (that's just about everyone).

#82867 02/25/05 06:47 AM
veteran
veteran
I've run both composite and S-VHS from my DVD player straight to my TV - have never had any hickups or delays. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sean

Exaudio ergo cogito ergo sum
#82868 02/25/05 10:58 AM
TNTguy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
My bad on the wording. My video signals will go from my 2 DVD players directly to the display. Just wondering how common this problem is, and what usually causes it. Even if there is a problem, 3 of the receivers I have been looking at (HK 335, refurbished HK 430, and Denon 2805) all have the AV delay adjustment. But if I didn't have to get the delay feature, that would open up more possible receivers that would be in the running.

#82869 02/25/05 11:52 AM
devotee
devotee
I've read about lip synch problems when I was researching my receiver choice. My understanding is that it occurs most often when the display is having to do serious calculation/processing, such as heavy scaling and HD processing. Therefore, lip synch issues are independant of the receiver. The receiver is just offering a method of remedying the issue via delaying the audio delivery to match the video delay. I haven't seen it w/ my HD source and my projector, so I can't relay any experiences w/ it. However, I did take this into account w/ my receiver choice, as I did not want to have any problems w/ this in the future.

Last edited by TurboDog1; 02/25/05 11:55 AM.
#82870 02/25/05 01:47 PM
S
veteran
veteran
S
I run every piece of equipment directly to the TV. I run my Sat box and Denon DVD1910 to a DVI switch and then to my DVI input on my TV. I run my SACD/DVDA player to a component input on my TV and my X-box to another component. I do not use my receiver at all for video, just strictly for audio. I have the Denon 2805 and have found the sync problem only a couple of times. I adjusted the delay on the 2805 and all was ok.

Scott

Re: Anyone bypass video signals through the receiver?
#82871 02/25/05 04:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
TNTguy,

The adjustable delay is a nice feature to have. With all the scaling and processing of video (and audio DSPs) going on, it does happen. I experience it occasionally and, since my H/K 525 does not have a specific sync adjustment, I improvise by using the center channel setup (distance), varying it until I get rid of the problem. Most of the time that works fine, although on my 525, the maximum distance setting is 30 feet, which is equivalent of inserting a 30-millisecond delay (sound travels at approx. 1 foot per millisecond).

For the record, I run DVI direct from my DVD player to the display, but all my component, S-video and a couple of composite run through the receiver then to the display. It's certainly more convenient, and on S-video I can get my H/Ks on-screen display. I can't do that with component. Some new receivers permit that.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082