Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OT: Spiffnme Tennis & San Diego
#89669 04/08/05 05:46 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Just in case you're bored out of your mind come Sept 17-18th, I'll be in San Diego playing in our 2005 Pacific Cup tennis tournament.

Each city's gay and lesbian tennis association from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver compete for the "Pacific Cup". The competition is open to only intermediate players, as there is already a "Cal Cup" competion that features the top players from each city.

This year I volunteered to be one of the captains of our team. I've been busy organizing schedules, practices, coaches, etc. We begin our try-outs, and practices in May, and will be training hard each week until the event in September.

So...long story short, if you want to see me make an ass of myself on the tennis courts in San Diego, or if you just want to giggle at grown men screaming like a girl when they miss a shot, stop by and join the fun!

btw...Team LA took home the cup last year while competing in Vancouver!

PS - Team LA is always open to sponsorship! Last year we were lucky enough to get Centers Business Management (CBM) to sponsor us, which paid for our uniforms. For their support their logo was printed on our shirts!

Re: OT: Spiffnme Tennis & San Diego
#89670 04/08/05 06:33 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

if you just want to giggle at grown men screaming like a girl when they miss a shot

craig- you crack me up with your ability to laugh and make wit of the typical stereotypes that are associated with gays and lesbians. i think you are right, there will be a few moments like that.. but as a whole, there will mostly be extremely athletic men and woman, competing in a sport that they enjoy.. the humor in it for me, is the fact that you manage to pick out a little nibble of truth, and then allow the stereotype to give the punchline. its hilarious to me in a way i dont think i can explain properly here..

i always tell my wife that gay people tell the best gay jokes.. why? because they have more experience. i used to know some good fat jokes... why? well, i think we know the answer to that.

GOOD LUCK in your tennis tourney. i hope your team does well.

BTW- i will be playing in my first disc golf tourney here in a few weeks. i will let you know how that turns out!!

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#89671 04/08/05 06:40 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I first came across "disc golf" while in Long Beach. There's a beautiful park there with some tennis courts. While walking to the courts I saw all these people throwing discs at these posts with chains on them. I only recently ever figured out what the heck they were doing. Looks like a lot of fun though!

#89672 04/08/05 06:52 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
disc golf is great fun.. chance to get out and walk, get some good exercise. its real easy rules, and you dont have to be athletically gifted to be any good at it. each disc costs around $10 bucks, so its relatively cheap, and a great excuse to just get out and hang with your buddies for a few hours.

bray and i got to play a round when we got together in dallas, and had a good time.. he beat me, of course.. but, i have only been playing for less than a year, so i got a lot of improving to do.

BTW- one of the guys i gisc golf with likes to play tennins, so he and i are gonna try and play here in a week or so. just gotta get our schedules lined up. i pulled my racquet out last night, just to make sure it was still ok.. i havent used it in over 4 years..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#89673 04/08/05 07:31 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Curtis has played doubles with us a few times. In fact, I think we're going to play again next week. I don't know anyone who plays disc golf. I'd like to give it a try. Looks very relaxing.

#89674 04/08/05 10:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We played disc golf in college for cross-training. There is/was a course on campus. For cross-training we had to run from shot to shot. Very fun game.

spiff....let me know if tennis is this coming Monday or Tuesday.

#89675 04/08/05 10:45 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Each city's gay and lesbian tennis association from San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver compete for the "Pacific Cup".

You realize my brain has run out of my ear from laughing so hard at this.

Catagorizing by gender, age, pro/am, geographic area... okay. By sexual orientation?

"Uhh, hi, I'm here for the baseball tournament... where's the B side for transgendered lesbian hindu mulattos?"

Bren R.

#89676 04/09/05 12:41 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thankfully it's funny now, but gay tennis leagues sprang up because the tollerance found today was not the same 20 years ago. Homosexuality and sports can be a volitile mix. Sports has a very masculine/macho image, and many athletes try very hard to live up to it. If that means beign a complete pr*&k towards others that don't fit neatly into that image...you get the picture.

That being the case, gay sports leagues are very popular. A nelly queen can be a nelly queen and play tennis just like Chris Everett and not have to worry about it in a gay league. With the growing tollerance in society towards the g/l community, more and more gay athletes are competing in standard USTA events. (My coach just won a 6.0 event in fact!) I'm sure some day the idea of a gay tennis league will seem rather funny...I don't think we're quite there yet though.

One thing that really puzzles me is football. Possibly the most macho sport on the planet, yet straight guys are patting each other on the butt all the time. What the heck is that all about?

#89677 04/09/05 01:31 AM
C
hobbyist
hobbyist
C
"One thing that really puzzles me is football. Possibly the most macho sport on the planet, yet straight guys are patting each other on the butt all the time. What the heck is that all about?"

Also, unless he is in shotgun formation, on every offensive play the highest profile player on the team, the quarterback, cozies up to his center's caboose, and opens his hands directly beneath the center's crotch and receives the ball. Why does the FCC tolerate this behavior?

#89678 04/09/05 02:25 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>Why does the FCC tolerate this behavior?

No wardrobe malfunctions... yet.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480