Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: your very first album
#91610 04/20/05 06:43 AM
local
local
And oh, how could I forget Peter Frampton Live. My sisters listened to it incessantly. It just about drove me around the bend. I gotta stick this one on the "worst ever" thread.

#91611 04/20/05 11:39 AM
devotee
devotee
A few years ago a couple of buddies of mine went to see Frampton when he came through town.
5 or 6 songs into the show they were laughing hystericly, because he simply did a note for note recreation of that Comes Alive album.
Nothing more, nothing less.
And, of course, being of the right age, they new each and every note. In the Summer of '76 (I think) you could not get away from that album. It was everywhere.
I STILL hate it.

Axioms; For when you've just Gotta have More Cowbell! 60s 150 350 8s 2is RX-V2500 DVD-C750 2900
#91612 04/20/05 11:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hmmmm, I dunnno...Rosemary and Gordon were too popular at that time in other areas I thought-maybe Jack was just kiddin' us!?

Dorothy Collins rings a bell!!

1207 was the date for the first release, but there was an earlier cutting of "Merrie had nuttin' but mutton" a year earlier, using chipped stone as a needle on an inverted tarred round fishing boat. I understand the owner of the boat drowned a few days later while going fishing, as the grooves cut through the tar, and consequently the first ever recording was lost forever. In memory of the ocassion, however, all records made, right up to CDs, have been made black in memory of the first recording, and the brave fisherman who gave his life so that we all could listen.

Thanks for the responces!!

#91613 04/20/05 12:58 PM
aficionado
aficionado
KISS Alive II. For an eight year old, the shot of Gene Simmons on the cover with the "blood" pouring out of his mouth was way too much to resist. That was it -- I bought Destroyer not long after that, followed by Billy Joel's 52nd Street ("Big Shot" also goes down well for an eight year old) and Elton John's Greatest Hits.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds
#91614 04/20/05 01:57 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
dmn23- man, i SOOO agree.. back in the day, i would buy albums strictly on the album art. and they must have had a grasp on how to market to young pubescent boys. cause, if it was dark, and evil, and mysterious, i wanted it.. Alive II is a perfect example of that. as is destroyer. i think iron maidens 'number of the beast' has the same qualities. i remember feeling like i was making a deal with the devil just by pulling that album off the shelf..

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91615 04/20/05 02:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Truly great album covers are few and far between these days. All of the old hard rock/metal bands had a really good handle on what would sell.

KISS (and Gene Simmons in particular) were obviously the kings of that kind of marketing. I think we're about the same age -- don't you remember how exciting it was to open your copy of Alive II to find the booklet, the "tattoos" and that kick-ass shot of them at the Long Beach(?) arena with enough pyrotechnics going off to level a small city? You couldn't beat that with a stick. Nothing compared. And I remember the little carboard rubberband "gun" they included with the Love Gun album. And of course there was always that invitation to join the KISS Army. And they used Gibson guitars and Pearl drums because they wanted the best. It tickles the hell out of me just to think about it. I wanted a sunburst Les Paul so bad I couldn't stand it -- no one was cooler than Ace Frehley!

Maiden had great album covers, no doubt. The first three or four Blue Oyster Cult albums captured my imagination because they were so off the wall -- where's the band? Who the hell are these guys? What's all this M.C. Escher-on-acid black and white weirdness??? Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door was cool just because of the brown paper bag wrapper. And Traffic's Low Spark of High Heeled Boys album stands out in my mind, too.

Good stuff!

#91616 04/20/05 02:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Well, if memory serves me right, my first vinyl album was either "The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" or "Abbey Road".

Now if you want to get into which vinyl album I "heard" first...that may be more difficult...but it was probably the stories of Babar the Elephant set to the music of "Scheherazade" by Nicholai Rimsky-Korsakov. My Mom loved classical music and by a certain age growing up, I was able to pick out all the different instruments in any given piece of music of orchestral music. Not sure I can do that now, but to this day, "Scheherazade" IS my favorite piece of classical music.

Anyone else remember these? I believe they were on 78's.

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#91617 04/20/05 02:53 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
In reply to:

Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door

yes, zep was cool.. to me, the best zep cover was 'physical graffiti'. it had a picture of an old apartment building with all the windows open.. and in the album sleeve was a little piece of cardboard you could slide back and forth to 'change' the image of what was in each window. kinda like the old kids books that have 'sliders' on the pages.. anyway, i always thought that was the coolest ever.

and speaking of KISS and gibsons.. my buddy, that lives in austin and plays in a band, he is/was a HUGE KISS fan. he has a limited signature edition of an Ace Frehley gibson les paul special. one of only 500 made, and its signed by Ace himself. he cherishes it, and i have seen him take it out of its case only once. now, the whole concept of collecting stuff, but just keeping it locked up in a box, i honestly just dont understand. i mean, how do you get any pleasure from it if you never use it or even take it out of its box. but, he loves it, so thats all that matters.

BTW- his stage guitar of choice, is the Gibson SG/black.. inspired by ace, of course...

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??
#91618 04/20/05 03:15 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I remember it just like it was yesterday. It was 1964 in very rural south Louisiana. I was 10 yrs. old and obsessed with the Beatles. I begged my mom for the money to purchase a "Beatles" album...any Beatles album, I didn't care I just had to have one. She agreed and we went to the store. I grabbed an album with an interesting cover and didn't even stop to read the cover, I just couldn't wait to get home an throw it on the platter.

The album was titled "Beatle Mania in the USA". I listened to that album for about two weeks before I realized that something wasn't right (remember I was only 10). The Beatles just didn't sound the same as they did on TV...very, very close but not quite right . It turned out that the album was not the real Beatles but an imitation group called the Liverpools. Upon my little epiphany that this was an "imitation", I remember feeling so hurt and like such a fool and very angry that someone would make a fake Beatles record and worse that I was such a dolt to buy it without checking the details. Had I paid even a little attention in the store it would have been obvious that this piece of crap was an imitation. These days I check every little detail on the cover before I purchase a CD or even a DVD.

That same album today brings $115.00 on the collectors market. Do I wish I still had it? Hell no! I'm still pissed about my "imitation artist" experience.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#91619 04/20/05 03:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'd never heard about this! That's hilarious! I mean...um...I feel your pain.

I got my first Beatles album when my dad was stationed in Germany -- I didn't know which one to get, so I bought some "Greatest Hits" collection that was a German pressing. It was all early Beatles, and mostly R&B covers. Seems like I remember some Phil Spector-type song on there -- maybe "Please Mr. Postman"? About the only thing I recognized was "She Loves You". It wasn't until much later that I started picking up digging into their "real" catalog.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup