Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Logitech Harmony Remotes
#95102 05/20/05 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
880 has
- a docking station to recharge the internal batteries
- color screen that can disply custom icons (IIRC)
- slightly different button layout from 688
- motion sensor to turn on screen when you pick it up

#95103 05/20/05 06:55 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Jack - if nobody answers, I'm sure we can talk curtis into buying a Harmony. He's WAY overdue for a Jack/Ray-induced spending spree!

#95104 05/20/05 10:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah! I LOVE spending Curtis' money . I asked my question because I was just curious to know if anyone had owned and operated both, and preferred the Harmony. I'd be surprised if nobody had done that. The Harmony is an excellent remote, with many happily satisfied users.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#95105 05/20/05 10:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I never owned an MX500 but father in law has it. It's probably more due to how his av consultant programmed it (not me, a real one), but I HATED it. It was not intuitive and it didn't really have any macros enabled. My father in law had to have instructions printed on how to turn on his own system. I would end up watching tv in the kitchen. If a engineer can't figure it out, it's too complicated.

I'm sure if it was programmed correctly, I could've liked it. Price is decent for $99 at costco but I'd still pay more for the ease w/ the Harmony.

#95106 05/23/05 01:00 PM
regular
regular
i've owned and used both...i actually replaced the HTM with the harmony when i got tivo.

the harmony is not perfect, but i like using it so much better than the HTM it's not even funny. with the HTM, any time anyone that was not "trained" in the remote i cringed because i knew that something was going to get screwed up. my wife was pretty good with it, but she had occasional troubles as well. exactly one week after i got the harmony my father came over and i jokenlly tossed the remote to him - he never had any trouble and things have gone pretty good since.

#95107 05/23/05 01:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting! I have my HTM remote set up so complicated that I, too, cringe at the thought of anybody else trying to use it. But the fault is mine, not the remotes. Fortunately, I don't have anyone else using it . If someone else wants to use my equipment, HEY, get your own remote. (it's a "guy" thing)

What makes it complicated is the many macros I have set up. In addition to the obvious "watch TV," "watch a movie," "listen to music" macros (keep in mind I have 3 DVD/CD players, and have macros set up for each activity on each player), I have macros that allow me to "switch" activities. For example, If I'm watching TV, and the football game ends, and I want to listen to some music, I just push one button and the macro (not in this exact order) lowers the TV volume, and turns the TV off; turns off my cable box, turns on my receiver and CD player, sets the receiver to the correct input, and opens the CD player's tray.

I have macros that will switch from the TV to each DVD/CD player for either movies or music. I also have a macro to switch from each of those activities back to TV if I wish. I have macros which allow me to switch between players if I wish, each with the push of one button. Complicated? Yes! And, I would understand anyone who didn't want that much complication, particularly if they must (gasp!) share the remote with others. Versatile? You betcha.

I do apologize for HTMing a Harmony thread. As I said before, the Harmony is an excellent remote with many satisfied owners. I only wanted to make the point that you can make the HTM as complicated, or as simple, as you wish. That's why I prefer it.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082