Print Thread
Rate Thread
Denon 2105 & video
#96005 05/24/05 01:00 PM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I really enjoy these boards because I have learned so much through my questions. Of course it's like most everything, there are numerous opinions about any topic. But that's what makes audio/HT fun!! OK, another question. Receivers have inputs for video components but I currently don' t run any video lines from my TV or DVD player through my receiver, only the audio lines. Am I missing something? Also, does anyone have any experience using the auto speaker setup on the Denon 2105 or any Denons? Is the setup accurate or is it better to use the manual setup?

Re: Denon 2105 & video
#96006 05/24/05 01:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I, too, don't run my video through my receiver. I don't want it necessary to have my entire system on just to listen to Peter Jennings (I hope his treatment is going well). Just my opinion, but I don't think you're missing anything, as far as video quality is concerned, by not running your video through the receiver. In fact, there are those who feel that, when it comes to devices and hookups in the video path, the fewer the better, due to the increased possibility of signal degradation. I'm not sure such degradation takes place, but I still run my video directly to the TV.

The primary advantage of using the receiver in the video path, is that only one video cable need be run to your TV from the receiver. This means less switching of your TV's inputs when changing your viewing sources (i.e. cable/SAT box, DVD player, TIVO, etc.)

Your 2105 offers "Video Conversion of Composite to S-Video and/or to Component, with on-screen display." From that wording I can't be sure, but I THINK that means that any video device you connect to your receiver via composite, or S-Video can, can be sent to the TV over a single S-Video OR component cable (this is called up-conversion). Which cable you use is dependent upon what kind of inputs your TV has.

If you hook up any video device to your receiver with a component cable, then you must have a component cable running from the receiver to your TV, which, if I understand Denon's wording correctly, will also carry the signal of any device hooked to your receiver with composite or S-Video cables.

If you have any device that connects to your TV via DVI or HDMI, then you can't send the signal through the receiver unless your receiver has DVI or HDMI inputs and outputs, which the 2105 does not have. Receivers and preamps that have that capability are only just now being put on the market.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the auto speaker setup on the Denon 2105, so I can't be any help there.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#96007 05/24/05 01:59 PM
shareholder in the making
The advantage of running through your receiver is that you have less wires to your tv/projector source. For Front Projectors it is very nice. You only have to run one component cable to your projector, but you can have many devices input to the receiver. There are even receivers coming out that offer DVI or HDMI out as technologies change.

In regards to Auto Setup, I think you SHOULD use this feature. The 2105 just has the Auto Setup, whereas the 2805 as Auto Setup and Room EQ. The Auto Setup does a fabulous job at checking for polarity problems, setting dB levels for each speaker, and also setting your delay (distance). My findings on my 2805 is that this is very accurate if not dead nuts. Now the Room EQ is another story, but you don't have that option so don't need to worry. You can always fine tune the above options if you feel the need.

Randy

60's 150 350 4-qs8's
denon 2805
sanyo z2 projector
toshiba dvd
samsung hd tuner
jvc tape deck

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

#96008 05/24/05 03:51 PM
I do run my video through the receiver to simplify switching, but I've also got 3 video sources (not counting the direct cable) and 1 input on my TV. I'm not exactly a videophile...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#96009 05/24/05 09:12 PM
cgolf Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Thanks to all. I'll probably just play around with the receiver and wires once I get it and have the time. Makes sense on the switching to have it all go though the receiver.

#96010 05/24/05 09:34 PM
veteran
veteran
Well one benefit of video switching I really like is that I can view the Denon menu on the tv instead of the 1 tiny line from the LCD on the Denon. Comes in quite handy when you want to jump around and make quick multiple changes.

Also, as others have said, it consolidates the cables going to the tv. The higher end models also upconvert signals so everything goes out via component rather than s-video, rca, etc.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,517
Members15,620
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044