Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Man, I heard some wonderful speakers today.
#98906 06/16/05 12:25 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Well in between appointments, I had a couple hours to kill, I have to stop doing that!! I went into Absolute Sound (a small privite owned mostly custom home/comercial A/V installs) The owner was great, I listened to some Magneplanar 3.6's WOW! The detail and speed, imaging was suburb. Those Maggies are something else. Then again, He put's me in this "perfect accoustical" room, sitting in the "exact" spot, running Jeff Rowland mono blocks, with cables that cost more than all my speakers put together, so everything is relative I guess. Man they were the sweetest sound I ever heard. At just under 5K I actully thought they represented a great value. The 6ft by 2 ft. panel would land me a divorce, but I sure enjoyed those speakers. Not practical for me though. Anyhow played attic rat, like my old A/C days, over the weekend. Got my Axioms (3) M-3s running zone 2 in the office, kitchen, and patio (enclosed) they sound great!!! And they look great, 2 in light maple and boston cherry in the office. Shipping and quality was perfect. Got the discount, tax-free, shippng free, not bad for bringing great sound to the entire house (when needed) Using a Arcom switching box, running off a Harmony IR remote. Controls all areas anywhere in the house, at a very affortable cost.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s
Re: Man, I heard some wonderful speakers today.
#98907 06/16/05 12:37 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Magnepans are absolutely amazing speakers. I'm sure they would have sounded amazing with zip cord speaker wire, as well.

#98908 06/16/05 12:58 AM
veteran
veteran
After reading bout Maggies I found this VERY interesting review on epinions. Granted this might NOT be true but still here it is...

--------

Reviewed by: erlebo, AudioPhile

Price Paid: $1475 at local Magnepan deale

Product Model Year:

Summary:
The 1.6s sound as good as everybody says, but unfortunately this is not what this review is about. I want this to be a warning to those who might buy them or other Magnepan models.

When replacing the fabric on my 1.6s, I noticed that one of the speakers had damage to one of it's top corners, roughly repaired with putty and covered with black tape. This was just good enough not to be noticed with the fabric on.

I called Magnepan to find out why they sell speakers in that condition, and spoke with Wendell Diller, their marketing manager. He admitted that they do sell repaired speakers as new and did not think customers should mind because the driver is not damaged and the sound not affected. He compared their speakers to furniture, said a sofa frame has more defects than their speakers and that I'm not supposed to take them apart. That's great marketing Mr. Diller! More importantly, he refused to properly repair or replace the speaker.

I recommend that anybody buying these get an explicit guarantee from Magnepan that there will be no hidden damage under the fabric.

Magnepan is the first company, in over 20 years of buying audio gear, that has left me feeling cheated. To say that their service is below my expectations is an understatement.

-----

#98909 06/16/05 01:14 AM
local
OP Offline
local
Wow, I don't like that. I was real impressed with their business approach, and company concept/ideas. The damm things are just to big. However I would go balistic with that explanation. Can't imagine Axiom ever saying that. When I got my 22s, there was a slight burn-like mark on the frame/cloth corner, real small. I mentioned it. 2 days later a new grill was on my doorstep!! from Canada to sunny Florida in less than 48 hours.

New is New! plain and simple. (IF) that indeed occured I would have to say that is one of the worst PR statements I have ever heard. BTW I also listened to the 1.6's and they were fantastic, but after listing to the 3.6's which came after, It would be like eating snow crab after having sweet lobster. They honestly were that good.

Sunfire amps & processor Sammy 50" Crown amp 2-SVS SS Maple Ultras, Axiom 60s,22s,150cc, QS8s

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044