Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Using phantom center with M80s
#177739 10/03/07 03:04 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur

Listening to more music lately, even 5.1 dolby and dts convinced me that the vp150 just doesn’t have a chance against the M80s. So I find that 2ch direct/stereo sounds better than 5.1 with my setup. Since I watch most movies and play video games sitting in the sweet spot I thought what would it sound like with movies?

I switched to using a phantom center and at first thought that it’s just not right. But with a little more volume and more toe-in of the M80s everything came alive in a way I’d never heard before.

Here are some of the things I noticed so far:

1. The front soundstage seemed to expand in both width and depth.
2. The side soundstages seemed to expand out.
3. The 360 degree soundstage became even more seamless (something I didn’t think could happen based on what I’ve been listening to.)
4. Subtle sounds from the front became more noticeable. (I think this contributed to #3 as the ambient sounds from the front were more distinguishable.
5. Voices were lower requiring a little more volume which did not, however, cause them to be drowned out.
6. Voices seemed more natural and so far seem to sound better when panning.

I have not watched much off-axis so I’m not sure yet how viable this is for several viewers.

I could use some suggestions on music/movies/scenes with good side to side panning especially of voices, anything with good 360 degree pans and/or lots of ambient sounds.

So far I’ve watched all or parts of
Starwars I and III
Master and Commander
Appleseed
Kaena (opening scene) Wow!
The Fifth Element.
Fellowship of the Ring

Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Re: Using phantom center with M80s
grunt #177740 10/03/07 03:41 AM
M
shareholder in the making
M
That's interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with movies and a phantom centre even though I have my 80s toed in. I do quite enjoy the phantom for PLII music though.

Mojo #177741 10/03/07 05:27 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

I had the exact opposite experience with movies and a phantom centre even though I have my 80s toed in.

Your room is much more spacious than mine. My mains are only 5.5 feet apart so the front soundstage is solid even without a center holding it together. I sit so close to the screen it’s hard not to notice that the center is above the TV. I thought about trying dual centers above and below but instead I’m trying dual centers on each side first.

Based on what I’m hearing right now I’m pretty sure when I upgrade to a projector and screen I’m going to try an M80 center with an acoustically transparent screen. I didn’t realize how much audio information was coming through the center channel until I started playing around with this. It seems a shame not to play all that through the best speakers in my system.

I must admit that at first it did sound strange without the center playing. But the more I listen to this the more natural it sounds. Sort of like when I realized I had my surrounds turned up to loud. The wow factor seemed cool but I realized it was actually distracting.

Similarly the center was so focusing it was also drawing my attention away from the rest of the system. I guess I didn’t notice it because the extra sound sort of blended with the screen action. Listening more to music Is showing me that I was trading soundstage quality for intensity in movies. That intensity had a wow factor but I think it made for lazy listening.

My situation may not apply to many others in that my room is fairly small and symmetrical, and except for my phosphorescent Irish skin totally blacked out. I don’t need anything anchoring me to the screen because it’s literally in my face.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #177742 10/03/07 12:57 PM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

I could use some suggestions on music/movies/scenes with good side to side panning especially of voices, anything with good 360 degree pans and/or lots of ambient sounds.

Mission to Mars has a really good scene...here's a previous post for more info of the scene. Post

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
HAY #177743 10/04/07 01:02 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the suggestion HAY. That’s looks like exactly what I wanted. I even remember having read that post and then forgot about it.

Dean

grunt #177744 10/04/07 04:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I prefer the sound of the dialogue with my stereo setup when watching movies vs the 7.1 theater. But in the theater a center is necessary since not everyone can be in the sweet spot.

Haoleb #177745 10/04/07 05:13 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

I prefer the sound of the dialogue with my stereo setup when watching movies vs the 7.1 theater. But in the theater a center is necessary since not everyone can be in the sweet spot.

I admit that a center is necessary for multiple seats and the VP150 does lend more of an overall movie theater flavor to the sound. I’m just discovering how much I like the “precision” (don’t know if that’s the right word) of the soundstage up front running just M80s I just wish I could use an M80 as a center which isn’t an option with my rear projection DLP.

Hey I may have just come up with another need (excuse) to upgrade to a projector.

grunt #177746 10/05/07 12:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I must admit that at first it did sound strange without the center playing. But the more I listen to this the more natural it sounds. Sort of like when I realized I had my surrounds turned up to loud. The wow factor seemed cool but I realized it was actually distracting.

Similarly the center was so focusing it was also drawing my attention away from the rest of the system. I guess I didn’t notice it because the extra sound sort of blended with the screen action. Listening more to music Is showing me that I was trading soundstage quality for intensity in movies. That intensity had a wow factor but I think it made for lazy listening.

Other than having a balanced, sound level matched system so that surrounds are not distracting, you can also play around with your receiver settings when it comes to upfront soundstage with a centre channel.
My Onkyo 797 has panorama/dimension settings that allow me to expand or contract the centre channel information, drawing the dialogue inward or expanding it left and right.
I've found that the default setting of 3 works fine for my tastes but i can see how sometimes one might hear the dialogue being collapsed in the centre.
If your receiver has similar settings, give that a try before writing off a centre channel entirely.
Certainly the small distance you have between the M80s will also affect how a centre channel can play effectively between them given the varying heights in tweeters and the obvious difference in orientation across the front three speakers.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #177747 10/05/07 01:28 AM
grunt Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Quote:

My Onkyo 797 has panorama/dimension settings that allow me to expand or contract the centre channel information, drawing the dialogue inward or expanding it left and right.
I've found that the default setting of 3 works fine for my tastes but i can see how sometimes one might hear the dialogue being collapsed in the centre.

Thanks for the info about the center channel settings. My Denon also has panorama, dimension and center width modes under the PLIIx. I missed that in the manual because it was under the “music” rather than “cinema” parameter and thought it said it only worked for 2ch audio but it appears it also works with other sources. I also missed that there was a cinema EQ setting to lower the treble. I’ll have to try these out.

Quote:

Certainly the small distance you have between the M80s will also affect how a centre channel can play effectively between them given the varying heights in tweeters and the obvious difference in orientation across the front three speakers.

Unfortunately until I move I have to work within this relatively small space. I did try raising the M80s a little so the tweeters across the front were more alighted. However for most movies this created a worse situation as the entire soundstage moved up above the screen. At least with the M80s sitting on the floor they help to pull the overall soundstage down closer to the center of the screen.

I want to reiterate to anyone reading this that I am in no way criticizing the VP150. I am comparing it directly against my M80s which is just downright unfair even before my limited placement options further compromises how they are allowed to bend together. Despite my growing preference for the way the phantom center blends when watching alone I can’t imagine not using the VP150 when showing off my system as it really does create more of a movie theater feel.

grunt #177748 10/05/07 04:55 AM
Dean, I believe that your original thought about the Center Width, Panorama and Dimension adjustments is correct. They only apply to adjusting the amounts of 2-channel material extracted and sent to your center or surround speakers in your 5.1 setup. 5.1 material such as DD or DTS tracks on DVDs already have discrete center and side surround channels and there's no need to extract sound from the mains to fill them.

As far as applying them when using 2-channel music sources(I always use DPLII(x) on all 2-channel music sources), I leave the Center Width setting at the default middle if using a center speaker(rather than the phantom I usually apply), adjust Dimension just slightly to send more ambience material to the surrounds, but usually leave it at the default middle and always leave Panorama at the default off, since sending direct sound rather than ambience from the mains to the surrounds is an unattractive "all channel stereo" effect that I don't care for.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082