I am looking to try to contain some sound within the home theater since the room will be right under our bedroom. I was looking at mass loaded vinyl, but that is proving to be very cost prohibitive (about $275 in shipped charges alone) plus I hear that it is good, but not the best bang for the buck.

I know that some people will say "decouple" or "build a room within a room" etc, but I am trying to maximize headroom, etc. Anyway, I've heard decent things about green glue, but it is pricey too.

Right now, I have the following wall design:
2 walls are external 2x4 construction with a 2 inch gap between the 2x4s and the poured concrete walls. These have R19 insulation in them already.

The other 2 walls are being build this week with a staggered stud wall with 2x6 floor and ceiling "plates" and then 2x4 studs staggered. I haven't decided how far apart to put the 2x4s (16" on center or 24" on center). Everything else internally in the basement is 16" on center.

I will be putting R19 insulation in these 2 walls as well.

The ceiling is comprised of engineered I-beam type joists that are 20" on center. I have the area already stuffed with R19 insulation to reduce construction sounds as I build since I work many late nights while my wife goes to bed.

So, what is the best bang for the buck? Double drywall? Double drywall with Green Glue in between the 2 sheets? MLV zig-zagged in the staggered wall and stapled to the ceiling joists?

I will be treating the room internally when done, but I would love to do something to reduce the amount of sound leaving the room. My goal is not to make it "sound proof" as I don't have that amount of cash available. Oh, I will be putting in an external grade door with seals as well.

I figure that I will be framing the room this week and don't want to get it framed up just to get a good idea later and have to tear down the walls and rebuild...

Farewell - June 4, 2020