I was just at my in laws and noticed when listening to the THX intro "Amazing Life" from the Indiana Jones Crystal Skull Blu-ray disc that there was some static coming from the surround speakers...at least "static" is the best I can describe it as I've not experienced "distortion" or "clipping" personally to know what they sound like.

It first happens between the 15-20 sec mark (of the THX intro) when the tuning fork sound reaches a crescendo / peak. I initially thought the volume was too high but the static can still be heard even at fairly low volume levels. It seems to happen whenever the passage hits a peak, but only in the surrounds, not the mains.

To test, I disconnected the surround speakers (some old Polk bookshelf model) and connected the mains in their place (ie. to the surround channel outputs of the receiver) but get the same static during peaks, so I don't think it's the speakers themselves. Just to be sure though, I then disconnected the mains and hooked up the surround speakers to the main channel outputs and everything is fine.

I understand that the sound being sent to the main channels is different from the sound being sent to the surround channels, so is the static coming from the program material itself or could somethng be wrong with the surround channel outputs on their receiver? Is it possible that ALL of their speakers are bad or damaged?