I guess that most here who have setup to get notifications has got the email for the new Axtiom Air box for your home stereo system.

It does look like and interesting idea but I have quite a few questions that will need to get answered before i splash out the $560 for it.

Why does it have a volume knob on the front? don't most receiver / pre-amp units have volume control on them? Mine even has a remote control so you can not only select the source but also control volume from the comfort of my chair.

Why would they put the ethernet network plug on the front? All that sort of cabling would make far more sense to have on the back of the unit.

Right now I have a DIY intel NUC that I am running windows 10 and have Fubar1000 running on. I use an optical output from the back of the unit to an optical in on my Anthem for music.

It is a bit of a bodge sometimes but it does do the job most nights. I sometimes wish I had a better dedicated box when things are not running as expected. Like when the NUC decides it wants to go to sleep or Windows decides it reboot itself to upgrade when I am listening to something.

Is this effectively the AxiomAir without speakers. So it's a box with a Rasberry Pi and their DAC with software. I'd like to know a bit more of the inner guts. I didn't end up getting the AxiomAir so I have no real knowledge on how the software works. All my music is sitting in FLAC on a Synology NAS. I take it the box will find it and work. What I get hung up on is how the user interface works. I want something that looks good and is easy to find then queue up music. playlists and the such. If it does that well then I would buy.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5