Hi all. I come seeking tech knowledge from the Axiomites.

The deal: I have no internet in my house. My wife tells me that this needs to change, and I agree. I am probably going to get satellite internet because (a) I'm off the cable grid and running a drop line is prohibitively expensive, (b) there is no DSL availability in my area. New technology like Exede has improved download speeds significantly in the last year or so. When I last had satellite a couple of years ago, I had 1.5 MB down, and now they advertise 12-15 MB down.

The problem: satellite monthly download totals are limited to about 500 MB a day except for the hours of midnight to 5 AM (unlimited then), so I won't really be able to stream video, much less HD content.

Possible solution: get some kind of hardware/software solution to store downloaded content that I set DVR-style to download during the off-peak hours of 12AM to 5AM, storing it to watch later.

Is this feasible? My experience with internet video is limited to streaming sites like youTube and embedded content. I do not have any kind of media PC, but I am open to purchasing whatever it takes. I have enjoyed my DirecTV DVR for several years. That's all I know, but I am eager to learn. You just may have to speak to me like a grandpa on this one, as I am a total n00b as far as getting TV/movies over the web.

Anybody doing this kind of thing already? Anybody else have thoughts on how to proceed? Any and all help is always appreciated.
"The Universe is the game of the self, which plays hide and seek forever and ever" - Alan Watts