Haven't checked the forums for a couple of days - because I've been playing with my new Squeeze Box! If you have any genuine interest go check the forums, there is TON of great information. Forums

As for my experience here's a link to a long story Beginner's Tale but bottom line for me is I LOVE this thing.

I ended up ripping my songs with Exact Audio Copy (EAC) in FLAC and am very impressed with the sound quality. This was by far the most daunting part of the SqueezeBox (SB) as I only had a few tunes ripped to music match. EAC is no picnic but once set-up (you must use the tutorials unless you helped write the code) it rips perfect bit accurate FLAC files. Oh yeah then you need to create play lists which EAC doesn't do and SlimServer does poorly, and then you need to learn SlimNetwork to listen to internet radio. Whew. Can't write enough about the trials I went through but is SOOO worth it.

Your whole music collection there in one place. Browse artists, albums, with a screen that can be read from across the room. After doing the ripping leg work it took maybe 3 minutes to find and start playing my Music files. I have a Linksys wireless router and it located and set it up in a couple minutes. Tops.

I am using the DAC in the SB and running audio out to my HK 3480 which does not have its own DAC like most AVR's will. Sound quality matches my Onkyo CD player but I always hesitate to judge sound quality.

BEST PART? Listening to internet radio, free and commercial free. Takes a bit of learning again but I have SkyFM running morning to night and it streams 128 kbs Mp3 quality sound 24/7. SHOUTcast, live365, radioIO and tons of other options.

Playlists of all your favorites, Rhapsody if you are so inclined and Pandora too, niether of which do much for me.

Very interested in others' takes on the sound quality but so far my ears can tell no differenece between my Onkyo CDP and the SB DAC running FLAC file format.

You do need your computer on to play your music lists but NOT to play internet radio as it uses the wireless router and the existing cable modem to steam from the internet.

Again would be very interested in sound quality issues.

larry