Quote:

Larry, I have an Outlaw 990 with 7700 amp. The 990 allows for "bypassing" any processing so it's an easy side by side test just pure direct through put from either the Denon or Squeezebox. I generally use it just in "stereo" mode which allows me to tweak the bass and treble to where I like it. But side by side, straight through...... coax, optical, or analog ......the SB with FLAC ripped with EAC from a good drive...(Plextor 760A).....there is no difference. In fact I think there is even more detail to be found from the FLAC file off of a well engineered CD. For what ever reason. Maybe it's the error checking, maybe the Denons transport / laser / DAC isn't as good as what I end up with ripped off of my computer....I don't know.

Bottom line, if you like the idea of storing all of your audio in a safe redundant way. You can't do any better than the SB and FLAC. And it's SOOOOOOO much better than having a huge CD rack taking up space in the room. Not to mention the convenience factor. Pick up a remote, push a button or two and your done.

Thanks again for the info. Agree wholeheartily about the utility of The Squeeze Box and will take your word about the sound quality as your system outclasses mine in every way. I could not tell the difference between my Onkyo (cheap HTIB) CD player's DAC and the DAC from the Squeeze, but that fact you can't tell the difference with your equipment impresses me a bit.

Some have argued, and it is not me because I don't get this stuff so good, that the streaming digital bits have the potential to sound better than data being read in real time from a disk. I think it is because the errors from a missed read are eliminated. No way I can attest to this and really don't mean to start a disucssion on the realative merits of either side of that arguement. Just thought it would be an interesting tid bit for your personal data base.

Thanks again for the post.

Larry