Thanks for the help guys, it's been awhile since I've posted here (although I'm a frequent lurker).

I will try your suggestions other than (hopefully) buying a new sub! I run my mains as large and send the bass to both the mains and the sub. I know this is a no no, but the bass sounds even weaker if I don't and I have to crank up the sub much louder to get the same effect. I have tried the sub in many different places, but my favorite and current position is right next to the couch (sweet spot) and it doubles as an end table (a big ass end table).

I've tried using the bass boost on my Yamaha rxv3000 receiver, but that doesn't do the trick either.

I think I want more kick than what is there or something. I usually run the sub at anywhere from +6 to even +10 db, and when I try just using the mains the bass sounds anemic. I'm not blaming the axioms because I use to have 15" woofer Cerwin Vega's as my mains and they had little bass when everything was 'flat' with no sub as well.

My problem is that I'm a constant tweaker. I think I have everything set the way I want and that I'm finally happy, and then I start wondering if I could make it better. The mids and highs sound fantastic right now, and overall the bass is good too - it's just that I want more tight punch to go along with the nice foundation of bass.

I keep hearing now from reviewers that sub x has more "punch" than the svs which is frustrating to hear. Where were these reviews a couple years back when I bought my sub? Back then svs ruled the world!

BTW, one tweak I did that made a huge difference for me was to move the speakers further apart. The were about 8 feet apart and now they are almost 12. I sit 13 feet from them, and this move really opened up the soundstage. Plus nothing sounds harsh anymore, even old metal albums.

Gotta go, baby's crying. I'll ramble more later.