Cameron, you and Alan have got SVS subs with pretty high output and yes bloated bass down low. They aren't that linear below 30hz. But you should both be getting much better sound. It still reads to me like you both need to dial them in better and practice weightlifting those big boxes around the room.

I have 4 subs calibrtated in total to the same level matched 75db of my small centre speaker. The bass is clean, distinct,omni-directional. Its not boomy.

You may have followed this procedure but I will write what I would do.

1. Shut off the sub and set all speakers to large.

2. With a RS metre and an AVia or DVE disk run test tones to each speaker and level them at 75db.

2. turn on the sub and level that at 75db. (You can raise it later if you want at the receiver but you should always know where 75db. With correction its more like 76.5db anyway.)

3. St the mains to small and cross at 60hz, (80hz with the monitors)

4. Keep running the sub test tone through the receiver.

5. Put the RS metre at your favourite spot and keep an eye on it as you move the sub around the room.

6. Leave the sub where you get the highest db reading.

7. Lean over the sub and flip the variable phase control between 0 and 180. Leave it at the setting which gives you the highest reading. If you get a higher reading in between move the sub a few inches at a time so you get the same reading at either 0 or 180.

8. Keep running the tone at the crossover point.

9. go to your receiver and to the delay control menu. and keep your eye on the metre.

10. Don't worry about the distance but keep increasing it until you figure out which setting maximizes the reading on the metre.

11. Play a bass heavey DVD like Master and Commander.

12. If it sounds boomy, change the crossover point and go back to 3.

13. Keep changing the crossover point until it sounds best to your ear.

Let me know.

John