Not to hijack, but...

While I agree location is #1 on the list, in my case I have limited placement options. Doors on every wall in the corners except ONE. I tried the corner, and yeah, I got LOTS of bass, but the calibration was out of whack, so I ended up turning it right back down to match the mains. So the end result was same SPL (more headroom of course, but I don't listen THAT loud), but it really made my response get WORSE.

So, the previous location and EQing was the solution. Also, my other issue is MOST DEFINATELY too small a main speaker. When the manufacturer says it plays to 100 Hz, that is BEST CASE. When I turn off my sub, I HIGHLY DOUBT that figure, and a 200Hz would have been a better rating for my little tiny satellite speakers. In short, I have too little punch because I have a "hole" between 100 and close to 200 Hz. Only way to fix this is for me to get better (bigger) mains (which are coming soon), OR set my cross over frequency as high as possible, and jack up the gain on my EQ in the 100-200Hz range to "force" my sub to play higher in freq (it starts rolling off at the upper end of its range at 100Hz). I really don't want to force the sub into a range its not designed for, and would be able to "localize" it anyway if I did...

Also, one thing I disagree with jakeman about, is do NOT use DVE for sub calibration. There is tons of info on the net as to why not to use it, so I won't go there. I will say DVE, coupled with my origional room gain had me pulling my hair out.

-Alan

Last edited by FirebirdTN; 02/03/06 11:59 PM.