I was wondering, more out of ignorance, the following:

When the manufacturer states, for a given speaker, 150W max amp power and a frequency range of 60Hz to 22kHz, given a "pure" unequalized signal, that the speaker will perform distortion free (or even port noise free) at that wattage or does that mean the max wattage before the speaker will start experiencing some sort of permanent damage?

The reason I ask is that I suspect, for a dedicated and modestly sized Media Room that "contains all the sound energy", I will not need large speakers like someone with a listening area open to other rooms. I have already been down that road with HUGE speakers for exceptional sound. In the past it has typically been the bigger the speaker (in a given line) the better the sound quality. Current market demands for small speakers have seemingly pushed manufacturers to offer the same quality in a smaller speaker but with less output (be it sound or low frequency...there always has to be a trade-off).

I know it is possible to order Axiom speakers and if you are not happy to return them and upgrade but my wife has little tolerance for that and expects me to get it right the first time.

I have been considering the M2i but even Doug Schneider had it crossed over at 100Hz, seemingly to prevent port noise (he did not say at what level he was listening). I'd prefer 80Hz.

I have decided to mount speakers on wall brackets below the screen to 1)avoid being too close to the side walls to prevent/reduce boundary effect, 2)allow for better speaker positioning and 3)not to compromise the integrity of my vapour barrier by using inwalls.

M2i speakers would work best size-wise as I would like to avoid m22ti speakers mounted in a horizontal arrangement. If all else fails I may have to use M22ti speakers mounted lower vertically and try to keep the tweeter as close as possible to ear level.

I will also be using the identical speaker for all three fronts to get the "best" sound (thanks to Axiom for the Factory Outlet where I can have the option of ordering a single speaker).

Anyone?