Russell Novak reviewed equipment for many years for Stereophile. Here is an excerpt:

"were well under control. Vocal crescendos and strings didn't go glassy, and the midbass reproduction provided a good underpinning without going too warm.

CONCLUSIONS
I don't really have criticisms. One must remember that the XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXX X.X is a small speaker and that it won't give you that bottom octave. But music is an emotional and intellectual experience, not a testicular one. You should be able to choose musicality over oomph and not pin your ego on the size of your woofer. If the XXXXXXX X.X sounds better than a larger speaker system in your room, overcome your compulsion to equate "bigger" with "better" and buy a pair. Consider the product: the sound, not the size.

I reveled in the uncolored sound these speakers produced driven by a passive preamp and transistor amp. That alone should make the XXXXXXX a big candidate for new or midprice audiophiles. At Houn' Dawg's house, a converted church, they filled the room without loss of body, proving that small speakers are not only suited to small rooms. With tubes they sounded euphonic, like tubes. They faithfully reflected all changes in associated equipment, thereby providing an open-ended path to upgrade your sound.

Till the day they were ripped from my clutches and carted away to Santa Fe, the XXXXXXX X.Xs remained a musical experience. Of the many speakers I have admired and coveted, speakers that have done special things I've thrilled to, I recommend the XXXXXXX as a natural musical experience at a modest (by today's standards) price. They got me emotional about the music again.- Russ Novak

I have removed the specific speaker reference and will tell you this is a 10 year old article. The market has obviously changed over that time, but it reflects what I am looking for in 2006! The use of the word musicality may be an issue with some, but seem very appropriate.

Thanks