In reply to:

although they share the same tonal characteristics, there's still a difference in detail and fullness of sound. It doesn't seem like it's just an issue with bass.

That is where I have the problem. To me that means that the M22s are not designed properly, and there were compromises. I often find the description of "fullness of sound" to be something in the lower frequencies. It has been stated as a trait of the M22s to have "less fullness" and for those who are looking for bookshelves only to go with the M3s which seem to stand alone quite well.

Assuming that the floor standers are portraying the intended sound properly, and by stating that there is a difference in detail, is not acceptable to the person who is looking for the "best sound" in a bookshelf due to space constraints not allowing a floor stander.

If on the other hand, this was just a user's perception based on "feelings" or pre-conceived notions biasing their opinions, I can understand. I fall pray to that all too often on many other matters. I'm a pretty emotional kind of guy . We're only human after all. If not a biased opinion, then I think it is back to the drawing board for the bookshelves. Unless I am incorrect, I thought that the bass section of the floor standers are separate chambers. Is this not the case? Do they use the same chamber for the woofers as the midrange? Perhaps this would explain a difference in sound where the woofers may be interacting with the midrange? Not to over-simplify things but a floor stander with a separate chamber for the woofers is like a satellite speaker with a passive sub.

The other issue is finding the balance between subwoofer and satellite settings/levels and whether or not their outputs have a linear response that you would get with a floor stander (assumption).

The big HOWEVER comes in the crossover frequncies. Perhaps the frequencies handled by the woofers in the floor standers extend up to the midrange where the 5.25" are not as refined. The mid range would then be allowed to function in a more limited frequency range where it performs better. Likely this is the reason for the M3 versus the M22. So the question then becomes, at what frequency must the M22 be crossed over for it to function equal to the floor stander?

I am guessing it is not at all as simple as this and likely only Ian could answer.