Mike
There's a LOT of great restaurants in the City and Napa. Really depends on what you're looking for. Most of these restaurants can be found on Yelp, Zagat, Opentable (for reservations, etc. Also check http://www.sfgate.com/ for local reviews and events.

In the past few years nuevo Latino has been pretty big. I LOVE Limon and Fresca. For top of the line California cuisine, Michael Mina, House and Gary Danko are good bets. In the Italian North Beach area, I love the cheapo Michaelangelo for just good home cooked Italian food. Slanted Door has very good modern Vietnamese cuisine. Farmer Brown has a modern take on Southern cooking, great fried chicken, though it's a CRAPPY part of SF. Sushi Go Go is a great, unique sushi bar but there are a lot of those in SF. Firecracker has great "modern" Chinese. On the edge of North Beach is a Chinese dive restaurant on Columbus/Broadway. It's called House of Nanking and is always mobbed. The waiter asks if you've eaten there. If not, he asks if he can order for you, you just tell him things you don't like. Guarantee, it'll be a great meal. It always has for me. Yank Sing has some of the best Chinese dim sum, though not the cheapest. There are some good ones in Chinatown, but those you'll need a "real" local to take you.

For the GG Bridge, you can park nearby and walk. It's crowded but for a first timer, it's pretty cool. Careful trying to ride a bike. As an experienced cyclist, I can tell you it's a challenge dodging inattentive tourists and novice riders on a windy, narrow stretch right next to freeway traffic. Fisherman's Wharf, Coit Tower, new Asian Art Museum in Golden Gate Park, Union Street, Castro Street (if only for the novelty of it) are also good areas/places to visit.

Lots of good comedy at Cobb's and Punchline. Jazz in Oakland at Yoshi's and good concerts at the Fillmore, Great American Music Hall and Bimbo's 365.

GREAT places in Napa to eat and drink. I strongly recommend you get reservations at your desired restaurants and wineries now, as they can get filled on weekends. I'd recommend Domain Chandon and Opus One, very unique winery and FANTASTIC cab. Of course there's Thomas Keller's French Laundry but he's also opened a smaller (cheaper) restaurant called ad Hoc that's gotten great reviews. My favorite one, hands down EVER, is a place called Cyrus in Healdsburg, which received 2 Michelen stars (IIRC) last year, only a handful that have done so in California. It's a pricey fixed price menu but it's is outstanding food and even more outstanding service. Within 2 minutes of sitting down, the waiter comes by w/ the caviar bar, complete w/ vodka pairing. They have extremely unique drinks, I had one w/ balsamic vinegar that was great. The waiters give you exact detail of every ingredient in each course, proving that I'll never have the chance of making it in my own home, making it the perfect going out restaurant.

I could go on and on if I havent' already. I love great restaurants. PM if you want more info.

In the city, you can do fine w/o a car. You'll need it for Napa though. Also, remember that you are in San Francisco. Remember what Twain said, "The coldest winter I've spent is a summer in San Francisco." It could look like it's 80 degrees out, but then you go out to the water and it's 50 degrees. ALWAYS have a sweater or jacket. We can always spot the tourists walking around in tshirts and shorts, who end up w/ the requisite San Francisco sweatshirt they have to buy when it's too cold.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 08/26/07 04:15 AM.