That someone probably got used to the sound of the SVS after a week. There is a good article on speaker "break-in" from Audioholics and I will paste an informative excerpt from that article:

"Required break in time for the common spider-diaphragm-surround is typically on the order of 10s of seconds and is a one-off proposition, not requiring repetition. Once broken in, the driver should measure/perform as do its siblings, within usual unit-to-unit parameter tolerances.

Probably the most common approach used by manufacturers who purposely take the time to break in raw drivers is to apply a sine wave signal, at a frequency equivalent to the unit's free air resonance, delivered at amplitude sufficient to thoroughly stretch out the spider, without damaging the unit, of course

An alternate approach referred to in the literature is the use of broad band noise. However, this approach is inefficient when compared to the sine- wave-at-free-air-resonance approach.

Break in, however, isn't necessarily a discrete step, purpose built in to the driver or loudspeaker system manufacture process. Does that mean loudspeaker systems produced by a manufacturer that doesn't break in the drivers require breaking in by the consumer? No, not necessarily.

Quite often, spider break in occurs when the driver is tested, before and/or after placement in the cabinet for which it's intended. Driver testing by signal stimulus at some point (or points) in the manufacturing process - if done at levels sufficient to break in the spider - generally makes further break in unnecessary. Hence, a finished system will not - in so far as its drivers are concerned - require further break in by a consumer once taken home from the dealer."

There have been many flaming wars in many forums about speaker break-in. Perhaps someone from Axiom can provide an expert opinion on the topic, but my understanding is that most speakers would have been broken-in well into the first musical track you play on them. Some manufacturers probably talk about a break-in period on the order of days to weeks. I wonder if this is less based on science and more on a profit-based motive as some customers will eventually acclimate and accept the sound of their speakers.

John

John
Our HT