Hi SatKartr,

When I said ". . .that a number of amps, not just emotiva, have not paired well with the m80s" and you replied "so it is also an Axiom issue to understand just what type of amp works well with the m80s", I want to clarify my comments.

It is only under extreme conditions, such as the SPL levels that you are trying to reach, SatKartr, as well as some other Axiom M80 owners (sometimes multiple M80s) that some separate power amplifiers, Emotiva included, shut down or overheat. For the vast majority of users, the Emotiva, Parasound and Outlaw amplifiers will drive the M80s without problems.

It all comes down to a matter of current flow through the output devices at extremely high sound pressure levels, and the ability of the amplifier's heat sinks and/or fans to dissipate the heat generated by lower impedances. The M80 is "nominallly" a 4-ohm speaker and does not dip below 4 ohms anywhere over the audio spectrum.

In terms of heat dissipation and high SPL levels, prior to the development of Axiom's A1400-8, there was a memorable party at Ian Colquhoun's home. At the time he was running five Denon monoblocs at 350 watts per channel into the M80s, dual VP150s and five QS8s, plus two subs, an EP600 and an EP500. At one point in the party, the level controls advanced farther and three of the five Denons shut down. I was using earplugs all evening and even with the ear plugs I retreated into the woods outside Ian's house! The SPLs were deafening. That evening was the genesis for developing the A1400-8, as Ian had grown tired of the Denons shutting down at extremely high listening levels.

I'd also point out that there is no substitute for expensive output devices that can handle very high current flow into lower impedances without overheating. That's what we use in the Axiom A1400-8 and that's also why the amplifier is relatively expensive. In order to reach a particular price point, other manufacturers may choose devices that are much less costly and will be fine in most playback situations for most listeners--but not all.

Regards,

Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)