Well Sat, as I commented before, the Emotiva remains a mystery to me. There were all sorts of discussions of measurement procedures both on the board and in PMs when Randy was investigating the problem. The resulting numbers weren't anything that should shut down even the typical modestly-priced receiver rated in the 100 watt area.

Protection circuits(besides eventually operating when the temperature would get too high)first operate when the measured current is out of line with the voltage being supplied at the time. One form of Ohm's Law is I=E/R, and if the measured current is some big number in relation to the voltage, that can only be because the resistance has become very low(i.e., a short somewhere in the wiring), and the circuits will immediately shut things down. Power supply sections are limited as to the maximum voltage that they can supply, and since power is the product of voltage times current, if not enough voltage is available for a given amount of power the current would have to increase so that the power equation is satisfied. This increased current measurement again would cause the protective circuits to shut down.

How all this seems to be a problem with the Emotiva/M80 combination at not extremely high sound levels remains unclear. I would be inclined to view the shut-downs as simply being God's way of telling you not to use that amplifier.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.