Here's where it stands, look like I may be at a deadend:

Today at 1:52pm, satkartr wrote:
I changed the interconnects, same problem.

I switched speakers to Polk Reference 10bs and the speakers began to pop, crackle, and fry but the amp did not go into protect.

I used the speaker cables that were connected to the Polks to connect the axioms to the xpa 2 and problem recurred.

One other issue: the left unbalanced input to the xpa2 seems loose, kind of droops downward, I think this may have become damaged when I first wrestled the amp out of the box, however I'm not sure this is relevant in that there is no hum or noise at any volume and I have tried running the right channel only and it still goes into protect.

Lonnie responded:

Looks like you found the root cause of the problem. If the amp does not go into protect with different speakers on it, but does when you connect the Axioms. Ipso-facto the Axioms are the cause. Now I don't know if a particular driver is bottoming out and shorting or if the crossover networks have an overlap with an impedance dip or perhaps the crossovers are just heating up and the parts are changing value, but something in the speakers is the cause and I would contact Axiom and see what they say

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."