hmm...

We were up until 2:30am trying to get this damn thing working, and we're still at the same point we were when I started 2 days ago.

Here's what I have and know thus far.

1) I used DVD Decrypter to rip a dvd into a single streamable .VOB file.

2) The PS3 Media Server recognizes the .VOB file and serves it to the PS3, which in turn seems to play it back. PQ looks fine, and audio sounds good, but it only plays back in 2-ch. When pulling up the "info" while it's playing the PS3 indicates it's playing a dolby digital 5.1 file. Yet, via the optical cable to my receiver, the receiver is only getting a 2-channel signal.

3) With that failure I thought perhaps it was because I was trying to play back a .VOB file, which in none of my reading is the "proper" or recommended way of doing things. (god forbid it would be that easy!) So I tried finding how to rip my dvd to an mkv file, which this server raves (and it's users) it handles with ease. I came up pretty much empty. For anyone else out there considering trying to do this, be warned...it's assumed you already know how to do it when looking for the required software.

4) so...I decided, just as a test, to download a mkv file of an episode of Heroes. It was a 1080p file with AC3, 5.1 audio. Again, picture played back, and the file info indicated dolby digital 5.1, but again, I only heard 2-channel.

5) I've also downloaded and installed the CCCP codec pack which then comes with a million other settings and options (none of which are explained), but it didn't change anything. I still can see picture, but only 2-channel audio.

In the search for a pre-made .mkv file, we found another application that someone put together that supposed to do exactly what I'm looking for...turn a DVD into a ready to play .mkv file. Gave it a try...and it didn't work.

Seriously...why is this so freakin' hard?

I feel as though I'm so very close to this working, but nothing I try seems to work.

Slipping the disc into the PS3 works flawlessly and doesn't cause any headaches. I really wanted this to work for the "cool" factor and the space it would save us if I could box up all our dvds and put them in the garage. I'm not so sure it's worth it though.

God this is frustrating.