Originally Posted By: Forever Newbie

Yes, I have considered the VP150, but honestly, from what other opinions I have read, it was the weak part in others systems when paired with the M80's.

I'm not sure where this came from but i personally cannot say i've seen such a comment.
It really would only be a comment IMO. I wouldn't read into this so much.

Quote:
I am used to larger ported centers, with a good deal of mid and more bass and I fear that the VP150 might not "do it for me."

I'm not really sure what people expect from a centre channel. It's primary duty is to relay vocals, anchoring the left and right channels across a front soundstage.
It's purpose is not to provide bass or the sound range expected from the main speakers.
I've never understood why people seem to think they are "missing" something because the surround speakers and centre channel are not as large and big as the main fronts.

Quote:
I also really want to try a vertical center per the recomendation of Jim Smith, the author of "Get Better Sound."
He is very, very anti "any" horizontally alligned speaker.

So you're taking the advice of a biased person?
That's how cults get started.
;\)

Quote:
I'm sure that I "personally" would like the VP150. From many of the reviews I have read, it's one heck of a center, but I am more curions that anything. And from the picture above, it just looks cool!

Well yes, there is that aesthetic factor.

Several here on the forums will tout a vertical centre as being superior, but frankly, the vertical dispersion and horizontal dispersion compared to a traditional centre (or rather the VP150 with a different driver layout) is just not the same.
Which is better can only be determined by the listener, but IMO, a vertical centre channel is not as good off axis left and right as the VP150.
If you have different chair heights (like a raised platform seating arrangement) you will also find that a vertical centre sound changes with vertical displacement of the listener.
 Quote:

By the way, I have no way of placing a VP150 above and below as suggested. If I had an aqoustically tranparent screen, then yes, I would consider it for sure.

So where would you put a vertical centre then?
I imagine it would only stand in the way of your setup being set in the middle of the screen.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."