Having lived in Rochester NY for the last 27 years, I have sampled just about all of the wings in the area several times. I also been to the Anchor Bar in Buffalo where Buffalo Wings were invented.

I always ask for extra crispy and their "nuclear" sauce. I like really hot stuff (I go through a jar of jalapeno peppers each week). Most of what I get is based on Frank's which, because of my personal taste for hot, is just a smidge more impressive than eye wash. Taste matters too, but for me, the heat's the thing.

A new bar opened in Fairport and I tried them, again asking for nuclear. Everything went quiet and they asked if I was sure. Turns out they do a home made a version of sauce based on habanero peppers. That's habaneros are the hottest you'll find in the US. I go there ALOT now - every Tuesday night.

I'm telling you this because the recipes mentioned above would be vastly improved with a little less butter and a bit of habanero sauce. I am fortunate here to be able to get something called Melinda's, a habanero hot sauce. It has carrots, onions and a hint of garlic and has quite a nice taste to go with the heat. It is available online.

For perspective, the heat quotient is measured in scoville units. A jalapeno has 5,000 scoville units. Habanero variants measure between 200,000 and 300,000 scoville units.

There is also the Holy Grail. In 2000, scientists at India's Defence Research Laboratory (DRL) reported a rating of 855,000 units on the Scoville scale,and in 2004 an Indian company obtained a rating of 1,041,427 units for a nasty puppy called the Naga Jolokia — also known as Bhut Jolokia, Ghost Chili or Ghost Pepper. I think I'll stay with the habanero stuff.

Anyhow, if you can find a habanero based sauce - add it to your recipe for some punch.