Originally Posted By: LT61
Your analogy is in error.

A bicycle tube is inflated partially, then inserted in the tire. Then, with the valve stem pushed through the hole in the rim, the tire is mounted to the rim, and inflated the rest of the way......the initial, partial inflation is done to avoid the tube being "pinched" between the rim, and tire. It has nothing to do with "stretching".

No, it is not. That’s why I made it. The elastic properties of the rubber are reduced if you just pull it out of the box and install it without expanding it first. It’s also just common sense to do this to remove the wrinkles. I’ve been lazy and failed to expand the tube first on my kid’s BMX before installing it, to only replace that one again a couple hours later. For those that still want to debate this, go to a carnival or fair. Go to the area where they have all the rigged games like throwing a ring over a bottle or knocking over a weighted jar with a baseball. Go to the one where you use a water pistol to hit the target in the clown’s mouth which inflates a balloon. The first person to pop the balloon wins the prize. Every time, the balloon that gets popped is the last “new” balloon (provided the person using the pistol can aim worth a dam). – I don’t think I can make this analogy simpler than that, and it most certainly isn’t a “myth”. It’s basic physics and good maintenance practices. It’s also what you are required to do to accumulator bladders on hydraulic skids when replacing them.

Randy – you are the very last person on this board to EVER recommend that anyone take a chill pill.