My first job back in the 80's was at a company that made sock knitting machines. There was a machine shop and that was my primary area. There was an older guy - in his 60's but his hair was still brown. Nobody talked to him much because he was "religious". I was a manager and most of my conversations with him were work related. I don't remember how we got on the topic (prolly cuz I was reading the books) but WWII came up. He looked at me matter-of-factly and said he had been in the 101st. Jumped pre D-day. I am sure my mouth was hanging open. I talked to him almost an hour that day as he spoke of his experience. One of the details that stands out clearly - almost 30 years later is how to shoot a Thompson Sub Machine Gun. If you are right handed, you aim just outside the left of the guy's knee/thigh and pull the trigger. As the recoil / muzzle blast causes the barrel to rise, it tends to skew to the right with a right handed shooter. That way the bullets stitch right up the torso. I never thought of Spence the same way again. Nobody knew - and had never bothered to talk to him.....

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill