Quote:
You know, I think, in a way a lot of WWII has been romanticized in how it's been portrayed--our world's real battle between good and evil. The actual battle, though, is horrific and gruesome and tough and gritty. . .and any other adjective you can throw in.

WWII was as close to that portrait as you will get. I did not think that Band of Brothers was romanticized at all. They did not dig into all the brutal details, but it was no Kelly's hero's.

My parents were young teens on the other side of the war, and the allies, particularly the Americans, were seen by most everyone, German civilians included as saviors. The US had a high level of moral conduct in that war as well, much higher than most armies in past European conflicts.

The problem with Vietnam and conflicts since then is that the 'good guys' are not much different than the 'bad guys'. The current Karzai government in Afghanistan comes to mind.

From what little I know of the Pacific conflict during WWII, it was much more brutal than what went on in Europe. It should be an interesting series.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!