Originally Posted By: Dr.House

Its mostly due to the closed nature of the design. There is just something unnatural about the experience though it is needed at times. When looking at similar priced open and closed models, the closed models usually have a narrower limited soundstage with a more in your head and "boxed in" sound. While they will sound great like the 7506 its not gonna blow you away for casual music listening. Now what doesn't help with closed headphones is they need to make a tight seal with your ears so many experience "clamping" sensations and other comfort issues which can also detract from the experience. Well designed open headphones like many of the open circumaural designs have a more well open, airy and natural sound characteristics as well as being more comfortable. There are exceptions of course.

I agree with the doc on this. I only use closed headphones for when I’m flying on my plane otherwise I couldn’t hear anything. OTOH when I was trying out headphones I instantly knew that I preferred open to closed when listening in quieter environments. Plus the circumaural have always felt more natural and comfortable to me.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1