Originally Posted By: jakewash
The point at which you hit reference level would be dependant on the output voltage of the pre/pro and that voltage varies between manufacturers and even models within the same company.

Exactly. (and I know you're replying back to Solardadd at this point) It used to be, amplifiers went up to 10. Then, Spinal Tap found an amplifier that went up to 11, meaning that it was "one louder" than everything else. Not to be outdone, other amplifier companies made amps that went to 12...15...30, etc. Finally, some genius got the idea to create a standardized volume control scheme. So now we have amplifiers that go from 0 to -100 (or so) db. Ideally, any amplifier set to -20db will play at the same volume as any other amplifier at -20db. But this will not happen unless both amps are calibrated. Ideally, an amp's auto-calibration routine (if equipped) will set this for you. Or, you can get a SPL meter from Radio Shack, and some white noise recorded at 30db below reference, and adjust each channel for 75db at the listening position.

Yeah, for most people, that's way too involved. But if you're a geek like me who actually has fun running sweeps with Room EQ wizard, then knowing exactly what your system is outputting becomes relevent.

Quote:
DanLW, I may hive missed this, but why are you even trying to achieve 'peak reference level 105db'? I know movies are mixed for peaks to reach 105db but that is also with normal noise in the 85 db range which is actually quite loud and not many people listen at this level in a home theater. I believe I listen to movies with normal range around 75-80db with peak levels around 95-100db.

The reason I want the ability to go to reference is because I'm trying to put together the last speaker system I'll ever own. I don't want to be one of those people who spends $5000 every couple years on a new set of speakers. I want the peace of mind that knowing what I get is the best. Not the best in terms of quality (sure, you could spend >$100K on a pair of speakers with .00001%THD), but the best in that it sounds good, and is capable of playing well at levels put forth in an industry standard, and as such there is no need to get more. Once I get my speakers and amplifiers, I want to be done. No reason to upgrade, because I am there. Then all I have to do is worry about replacing bulb in my projector (though I'm hoping LED will be cheap enough by the time I'm ready to get a new projector).

I guess it's more for peace of mind than anything else. I don't want to always be wondering if my speakers would have sounded better if I got a 500W amp instead of a 200W amp.

Of course, once I retire, and am done moving, I might go ahead and augment my system with a DIY subsubwoofer to get me deep into single digit response... but hopefully by then Thigpen will be producing reasonably priced radial subs.

Yabadabadooo!