I've gotten lots of excellent info and stuff to think about from this thread. So I may as well let everybody know that my Brand X is a system centered around the Klipsch RF-7IIs. I know, horn loaded, bright, harsh... like I said, 8 years of searching. But the Klipsch defenders will say that while their lower end stuff which most people have heard can be described as such, their higher end stuff (RF83 line, and again, the RF7s) aren't like that. I have considered the Paradigm Studio 100 series, and considering that they cost as much as the Klipsch, and require the power of the Axioms, I have written them off my list. That, and I have read that the Studio 100s and M80s sound similar. Also, Paradigm seems to be focusing on pretty looks and astetics, and that makes me wonder what I'm really paying for. Briefly looked at AV123, but wasn't impressed. Was interested in SVS' new offering, but they have taken that off their page since it's release is nowhere in sight. Looked at RBH, but they don't have what I need at a price I am willing to pay. Axiom still stands as an excellent quality ID brand. And I am starting to realize that even the Klipsch system will require an XPA5/XPA2 (or equivalent amplification) since portions of their frequency response dip into the 2 ohm region, and therefore require a lot of current delivery capacity.

Now, I don't want to turn this into an M80 vs RF7 thread. I've read plenty of those, and have come to the conclusion that I will just have to hear them both for myself. However, I've encountered a setback. Did some research on shipping, and the M80s are too big to ship to an APO. The only way to get them to me is to have them shipped international, and that costs approx. $2017 for a pair of M80s after all is said and done. ($1674 base price + $268 VAT tax + $75 duty) I have E-mailed Axiom and was told that this is correct, and that Axiom does not accept VAT forms. (A VAT form is a form US Military personnel in Europe are able to use in order to not pay the 16% VAT tax)

The good news for Axiom is that even though Klipsch has dealers in Germany, they charge $3800 Euros ($5428) for a pair of RF-7IIs. If they accept a VAT form, that brings it down to $4559. But that's still $1361 over the US price of $3198... and even if I walked in with cash on hand, I doubt I'll get a 30% discount out of them.

So, looks like I'll just have to wait until I get back to the US in 3 1/2 years, and I'll just suffer with my Infinity Primus 150s...

Okay, here's an idea. what if I purchased a pair of M22s and a pair of RB-81 IIs. (Those ARE small enough to go to an APO.) Do you think that would be a fair comparison of the Axiom vs Klipsch sound, or would I be comparing apples and oranges if I compared those two in order to make a decision on which towers to buy? Originally, I had wanted to go with bipolars all around for 7.2 surround, but I suppose I could use monopoles for the back channels. Or, I could use them for the "presence" speakers. Hmmmmmmmmm....

Sorry that my posts are so long! It's kinda my way of thinking out loud. I actually figure a lot of stuff out in the course of typing these posts of epic proportions!