Dan, first let me express our thanks to you for the service that you're rendering our country and extend best wishes to you and your wife for the upcoming arrival of your new baby.

Your plan to test the Axiom and Klipsch sounds good, but I'd suggest that the RB-61II would be a closer match to the M22 in overall size and cost. Yes, a key difference will be the significantly higher sensitivity of the Klipsch, and you're aware of the necessity for level-matching. Your setup description sounds fine, but I didn't follow why the distance settings would be different.

I was going to respond re the Crown calculator in your other thread, but was delaying because you'd indicated that you might have time to test with an SPL meter, and those results might be interesting. Although I didn't doubt the findings of Dr. Toole and other authorities on the point, I did check for myself a couple years ago. If you'll able to do this at least at 1, 2 and 4 meters you may be surprised to find that the reduction in sound level is indeed far less than would result from applying a 6dB per doubling of distance formula, which is of course theoretically correct, but applies only to an omni-directional sound source in an anechoic environment.

Of course, the Crown calculator is mathematically "correct" in performing the simple calculations under that formula, but as was said, that isn't the real world of home audio. You may not have read the more extended Crown discussion of power requirements published in conjunction with the calculator here . It clarifies the point that the calculator results don't apply to listening rooms at home as distinguished from professional applications out-of-doors, but unfortunately that rather key point is somewhat buried near the end under "Other considerations". They suggest adding a 6dB correction to the results, which you'll note would reduce the calculator's number to 1/4th of its previous value(Axiom uses 4dB for a similar purpose in its sensitivity ratings). Then(can't imagine why)instead of suggesting that an amplifier with 1/4th the power rating would be sufficient, they suggest that another "headroom"(already accounted for by the 105dB or whatever max is to be used, of course)be added on.

In brief, you appear to be too concerned with the power question. Clean power is cheap and plentiful these days and both the principles of audio technology and personal experience indicate to me that typical receivers rated anywhere in the 100-150 watt area are ample for all safe sound levels with speakers such as Axioms(even that 5 watt tube amp which Alan derisively commented on might work with those Klipsch sensitivities).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.