Dakkon,

Yes I will get more info tonight regarding what level she was running.

The receiver is on the top shelf of the 3 foot tall shelving unit. Normally there is nothing stacked on top but recently there have been DVD cases left on top of the receiver which would block the top vents. The Harmon Kardon AVR 7200 has passive cooling and has large aluminum heat sinks on the left and right side of the chassis. There is nothing blocking the left/right side vents.

So if clipping is the issue, one obvious answer is to reduce the max volume used. Another is to add a separate amp to drive the center channel (not sure why I would only drive center channel, is that to "spread the work out" so the separate amp is not overloaded into clipping mode)? Or I could upgrade to the VP180 (but then what of the M22's, are they at risk too?). What about my subwoofer (SVS cylindrical powered subwoofer 12") is that in danger or since it is already powered with its own amp, it should be safe?

Regarding loudness I would say as loud as a movie theater when playing movies. I don't think she typically goes much louder but who knows when I'm not home...