Laughing at being remiss in my parenting duties - the age of plastic:

So my 16 year old has been driving on his own for a month or so now in a new car that my parents won and gave to him. He's seen us for years pull up to the pump, slide the card in and out and dispense. We've even had him do the mechanics of nozzle in thank and lift handle or push button to start - so there's that portion. He was out yesterday and finally realized that the gas tank is not eternal and I get a phone call:

Son: DAD!! I'm on fumes - where's a gas station!??

Dad: go to main road, turn right, 2 blocks down on the right (one he's been to many times with us and one he runs past every day with the track team). Do you have money?...

1 min later, I get a text...

Son: where do I put the cash?

Dad <rolling on the floor laughing hysterically>: you have to go inside - make sure you know what pump number ur at.

1 minute later...

Son: do I give it to the cashier?

Dad: no, give it to the bum sitting outside... YES, genius!! you give the money to the cashier and tell her what pump ur at.

Then it dawned on me that our kids have never seen us go in and pay cash for gas, we've always used a gas or debit card. So he simply didn't know how it worked... epic fail on our part.

Scott

My HT