I don't disagree with you either bigjohn. Different circumstances and different regions have their own problems, the extent and ideas behind which we manage those problems will define the future of humans on this planet.

I've travelled the States and Canada.
I was born in Canada but have lived in major cities across the country including Calgary which is ALOT like some southwestern states in attitude (cowboyish, etc. etc.). I also have relatives in the US and now overseas in the UK. It is true that SOME environments are different such that firearms are a necessity (e.g. up in Nunavut in small communities where polar bear sightings are common) but bringing that into major, populated areas only increases potential incidents whether criminal or unintended. The vast majority of ppl may feel comfortable carrying a gun, but whether intelligent or not, they may not use it properly when placed in a highly stressful situation.

The crime rate (or perception of it) is not that bad in every region across the US. In fact i daresay that the most of the US lives a very laid back lifestyle not unlike Canadians. The bigger and more prominent city areas certainly can be more intimidating, but a general philosophy of 'requiring' the ownership of a firearm will never end until everyone embraces the concept. However, Americans do seem to be more 'vocal' about the ideals of "my rights, my freedoms" and Instead there is a presentation of having to go the other way from laid back to violent return.

There are non-lethal alternatives to guns, more being developed with newer technology and no, if you hit someone with mace first, you WiLL win. I've seen 220lb police recruits drop to their knees and cry like little girls when hit with it. If a skunk can spray 15-20 feet, we can make mace shoot up to 25 or 30 even in a decent breeze. Beyond that, you should be running and not shooting anything.
Most muggings happen at a short distance, not a far one.

It is bad enough that road rage is getting out of control, but people requiring concealed firearms to go shopping at Walmart? That's outrageous and inherently dangerous.
At least the concept of home protection makes more sense. Buy a shotgun and keep it locked up at your house. Carry the mace when you walk down the street.
It is a compromise that no doubt is still unacceptable to many Americans.
(I'm going to duck and wait now for the first to stand up and say once again, "it is my right to.....")

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."