I would tend to disagree with you here, I have both the denon 3802 and the denon 5800, The 3802 was purchased to replace my Yamaha 995 which I then moved too my office. I find that the 3802 for my type of music and the type of movies I like, far and away outperforms the Yamaha 995. The AVR-5800 just completely blows away all of them. the only unit that i have auditioned that came close the Denon (5800) was the marantz SR-14EX. In the end I went with the 5800 as my main unit not only for features but for sound. The 3802 performs extremly well overall, but you know it really comes down to personal preference at this price point pretty well all of the units are going to give you very good performance. The problem I have found when going to shops and listening to the different units was in trying to compare them you were listening to one receiver on one type of speakers the second on another type. The only way I could do it was to find a place that carried the models that i wanted to compare, take the units home to auditon in your own place with your setup. then you could compare each of them for a couple of days and say wow i like the color this gives the sound or I don't like what that one does. With whatever you choose at that price point they will all give you simlar features and similar performance.