Randyman I agree with you, in some regards however the comments do hold somewhat true, in stating that a system sounds go for HT but not for music. The point here is HT not Music. You will never find it the other way around. This seems to be more a product of the system as whole rather then just the receiver. For HT you can get a way with a lot as the requirements are just not as demanding. That is to say that to reproduce HT to sound good is as not as demanding of a system as to reproduce Music. The sound tracks on HT generally are very sloppy, the bass is deep and rumbling which is what impresses everyone but it is really not too demanding fidelity wise becuase that is not what you are really listening too. Now too reproduce music to any degree of accuracy requires a much better system overall the audience focus is on the music and reproduction of it is more critical. A setup while sounding great on HT can in fact sound mediocre for music. The choices for your receiver tend to be very influenced by what is considered “hot” this year. The business is very cyclical, one year it is Yamaha or Outlaw that everyone wants, the next it is Denon, next year it will Onkyo. I would challenge most people as you correctly state to actually hear any difference if they were not able to see what they were listening to. Given the same class of AV receiver the same speaker setup and the same piece of music, I do not think you would be able to tell one manufacturers comparable model to another’s. I do not mean comparing 500.00 receivers, you take any of the low to average range receiver’s $1000.00 to $1500.00 and compare the direct competitor to the model. Run them flat without any DSP crap and see if you can tell the difference. Most people cannot.

Last edited by john_henderson; 09/08/02 06:13 PM.