chess... JohnK

Can't say that I disagree with your statements/arguments. Seems to me like the logic is there.

Most HT contains a sh**load of music these days. (and music is music eh?) My guess as to why some people believe that one brand (or model) is better at HT than music (or vice versa) stems from the companies particular approach to design the features that support HT (or just music)sound. I would think that since pretty stringent standards exist for the use and application of the 5.1, 6.1 decoding (and others) like DTS, DD, DPL etc, that they would be "essentially" the same between brands. But the way a company designs the receiver to use these decoders COULD have an effect on it's sound (for HT at least) and thus the perception that some brands do better at one element than the other.

Given the time and difficulty of actually comparing the sounds and features of receivers in the HT environment(unless they are doing an exact double blind test - which helps to eliminate the brain's acoustic memory loss), I think most people would be hard pressed to judge one brand "better" than the other when comparing their ability to reproduce HT vs music.

That whole argument seems pretty silly to me.

Just my 2 cents....

Randyman