John, i agree with the notion that standard (or even experienced) users display a frequent inability to distinguish between system components (in this case receivers), I would also agree that certain brand names or technologies (ie. THX) can become the 'big ticket item' for any given year.
Although these statements are pretty logical, i don't believe that stating HT sound tracks are "sloppy" is accurate. I also do not believe that requirements for HT are not as demanding as opposed to music. Not all movies are bass action flicks or dramas with nothing but dialogue.

Case in point (and going back to Randyman's idea of soundtrack) have you ever watched a 'musical' production on dvd?

My fiance is quite the connoiseur of shows like The Sound of Music. These dvds require as rigorous and accurate a sound track as their cdrom counterparts. Making the cdrom sound a better quality than the dvd version just wouldn't make any sense at all. I highly doubt that extra care is only put forth for such dvds either. The focus of such movies is very much on the music.

One addition to our latest list of 'test' material for new components has become any of my fiance's musicals on dvd.

Last edited by chesseroo; 09/08/02 08:19 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."