In reply to:

I just don't know why sports so just a night and day difference than other programing

Sports DO look incredible in HDTV.... better than anything else. I just mentioned that to my wife last night while we were (unfortunately) watching the Dolphins spank the Pats. We've only had hi-def for about two weeks so there's still a huge "wow" factor!

As someone who works in the field, I should know the answer why, but I really don't. I don't think it's a matter of 720P VS. 1080i.

Th only reasonable answer I can come up with is that there's a little bit of purposeful softening going on with produced, scripted programming. When I'm shooting with my full-size broadcast cameras, and shooting an older CEO for example, I apply a touch of soft focus in post... and that's shooting standard def. There has been much concern with many actors and other talent that hi-def is NOT going to do them any favors in the "aging" department and that good makeup artists are going to be worth their weight in gold.

Thiis assuming programming that originates on video. Craig (Spiffnme) could elaborate much more thoroughly than I can as to the "perceived" sharpness of film-based originals....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::