Mark, Jon, and all,

I would agree totally on the HD sports. I believe they look better partly because many are broadcast live, although I looked at a repeat broadcast of an HD basketball game the following morning and it seemed to be as sharp as the live broadcast I'd watched the previous evening. But if you watch instant HD replays, there seems to be a slight degradation visible in the image if you look for it. And in the old days of analog NTSC, a live broadcast always looked best.

Then again, I've seen shows on DiscoveryHD that are simply stunning, as clear, sharp and vibrant as live HD sports.

Sometimes HD movies actually appear sharper and clearer than standard movies in some cinemas. Those can vary a lot. The Che Guevera movie, Motorcycle Diaries, looked quite crappy in the theater. I don't know if it was a video transfer to film or a blowup from a smaller format or what. But it looked fairly crummy.

Perhaps some movies in HD have been remastered digitally and tweaked. I'm not sure. Other times, I can see the film grain structure. All these comments apply to viewing on a Samsung HLP-5063W. By the way, I will say that with the Samsung you never, ever see the pixel structure, which could be annoying with some LCD RPTV. Recent ones I've looked at seem to be largely free of that. DLP blacks are better than LCD, and overall I find the image crisper and contrastier than CRT rear-pro.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)