I think they sound just dandy at low volumes too, but you just can’t pick up on some of the recording at lower levels, which I’m pretty sure is common place with all sound systems. The point I’m trying to make, is that it’s very difficult to resist the temptation to crank these babies up. To put things into perspective, I am a busy boy. Between my work, family, hobbies, outdoor activities and working on my house, I just don’t have time to sit and do nothing. Haven’t for as long as I can remember. I am constantly on the move. Since firing these things up last Saturday, I’ve logged about six hours of sitting and listening to music. That just aint like me. I pour a glass of wine or pop open a beer, grab the remote, and sit and listen – totally not my MO. Last night I put in the new Vertical Horizon’s CD and could actually here fingers squeaking on guitar strings as if I was sitting in front of the musician. Keep in mind that this in not one of those CD’s that this type of sound is commonly audible. They’re an alternative rock band. But also keep in mind that this is not usually audible at lower volumes. You have to crank them to pick it out because the squeak is so light, you can’t here it unless the volume is up, I don’t care what speakers you may be listening to.

I should also add that I am running them through my Zone II on the HK. There are no bass or treble controls that I can manipulate when playing through the second zone. I can’t even use any of the nifty base managent options or simulated surrounds that the HK has. All I can manipulate is the source input to this zone and the volume. I’m going to experiment over the next couple of days and hook these speakers up to the main front L/R receiver outputs so I can here what they’ll sound like using the receivers bass/treble controls and other surround options. My guess is that if they sound this good now, a little knob twisting will only make them sound better.