Thanks warfer21. I too am finding similar results with my M60's since recieving them a couple of weeks ago. My conclusions are pretty well the same...the M60's will sound wonderful with well recorded music and can be quite nasty with some poor old recordings ( don't understand this...?) or hottly mixed new recordings. Some albums are even a mix, with some tracks sounding great and others not. Given this though I too could never think of parting with the incredible clearity and sweetness that I have experienced with the M60's using a GOOD recording. Its just incredible! From my perspective, I just don't understands people's description of Axiom's as bright, to me they're not bright, they're accurate and detailed. Why throw out the baby with the bath water? Keep the speakers and get a better recording.

I wonder if the same people would call the B&W 703's reviewed here as bright. This quote about the 703's pretty well sums up my experience with the M60's.

In reply to:

The 703s are a very revealing speaker. This is a fantastic attribute, one that some of the best speakers in the world possess. Yet this can be an Achilles heel if the majority of your music collection consists of poorly recorded music. If the best recorded piece of music you own is Ted Nugent’s Cat Scratch Fever, you may end up buying a new player along with some new recordings, but isn’t that the idea behind getting a top-notch pair of new speakers?

This has been exactly my experience with the M60's
Given the 703's looks, reputation and price I doubt any would complain about its "brightness". Yet the Axioms, relatively unknown, alot cheaper, and absent from the "High-End" botique dealers gets the label. Hmmmm

Thanks for the input wafer. Cheers, Mike