OK, that worked well. Having a good center does make a real difference. The dialog is MUCH more clear now and the sound seems much more "solid" across the front, don't know the right words.

I had to put the M2i upside-down on the TV otherwise the woofer magnet messed up the picture really badly. With the woofer at the bottom and a blue screen (no video) putting the M2 on top caused a green splotch about a foot wide and six inches high at the top. With the M2 on its side the green patch was smaller, perhaps 4-6" high but still far too much interference.

I played with the channel settings a bit and found that it sounded quite a bit better with the center raised about 2dB relative to the M60 mains. Interesting that this is also the difference in sensitivity between VP100 and VP150, draw your own conclusions

Here's a picture of the current setup. I'm going to try finding a new location for the CD player (just under the TV now) and put the center channel there on its side -- but the current setup does sound really good now, with no hint of dialog being "up" from the image.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8