Thanks, JohnK. I just tried two inverted speakers on top again but without the intervening paperbacks. My mouse pad took one for the cause and is now two raggedy-edged speaker pads. Took the center levels down 3dB from single to compensate. I angled the M2s out a bit, maybe 10 degrees each. Yes, too many variables but I was running out of time and will test without the toe-out later.

Probably the best configuration so far. I don't really understand why two speakers seem to show more detail than one (it's that darned "openness" thing again, I bet ) but definitely seems to be a difference.

Removing the paperbacks lowers the apparent dialog location just enough to not be annoying, but after listening to an M2 on each side I am starting to miss that "dead center" presentation. Not sure why the dialog seems a bit "higher" (vertically) than with a single inverted M2 -- makes me think that I'm still getting more output from the pair even after dropping center level by 3dB (mains are below TV center, centers are above TV centerline so they average to a point dependent on the relative output levels). It should only be 3dB extra even taking into account 4 vs. 8 ohm etc..., right ? Have to stop messing with these and get back to work, or I would break out the meter to see for sure.

So, this leaves me with another choice between seemingly unrelated options :

- use 2 M2s for HT center and pick up a pair of M3s for upstairs

- use 1 M2 for HT center, stay with my current order for a third M2, run 3 M2s across the front and move the M60s upstairs

- replace M2 center with VP100, move the M2s back to "mains" duty upstairs or swap M2s with M60s

Hmmmm. Now I know why everyone keeps dreaming about "ordering one of everything and sending some of it back".

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8