It can be confusing, we know - how do you know which are the best speakers for home use? Are there characteristics about the best speakers for home stereo which are distinct from those that are best for home theater?
In a word, no! The best speakers for any use around your house will share the same key traits:
- The sound will be neutral - not 'warm' or 'mellow' or 'soft' - what you really want is 'accurate'. When a speaker is accurate, it won't matter whether you're listening to Brahm's "Hungarian Dances" or Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business" - with a neutral speaker both of them will shine.
- The speakers will be designed by someone who specializes in that business. If you are looking at the house brand speakers of a department store that also sells computer parts and napsacks, you may not be getting the quality you're looking for. Instead, search out companies with a history of research into speakers for home use so that you know you're getting the latest technological advances.
- The speakers won't be smaller than your fist. Sorry, a massive marketing budget is not an indicator of sound quality. There are laws of physics that dictate how big a speaker must be in order to recreate a concert or movie experience in your own home, and tiny cubes no bigger than an orange simply don't have the power or output you need to get a realistic experience.
So now that you're armed with these three simple rules, how do you go about choosing the best speakers for home?
May we suggest:
- Browse through our stereo speakers to get a start for your home stereo or home theater speakers.
- Read our articles on How to Buy Home Theaters - speakers, TVs, cables and more. Don't get fooled by slick salesmen - get educated and get the best value for your money!
- Check out our guide to Building a Basement Home Theater if you're looking to create an incredible cinematic experience in your own home.
- Ask us about the best speakers for home that will suit your needs. Our friendly audio experts are happy to answer your phone calls or emails and they'll work with you to get the system of your dreams.