Hi cbee
I have a bunch of 2 channel systems, and the amps make a BIG difference. I think my best sounding system is built around a 5 watt per channel Antique Sound Labs MG SI 15DT SET tube amp. This amp was a magical match with a pair of M3s. For some reason, the M22s did not work so well with this amp, but the M22 like Michaura M55 speakers are a spectacular match up.

My second favorite system is driven by an old (but mint) Kenwood KA9100 amp (rated at 65 wpc I think).

Both these amps make for better sound quality in 2 channel than the big Onkyo M504, Yamaha M80, and far better sound quality than various receivers I've poked around with (Onkyo 797, Sony STRDB 1070, Harman Kardon AVR 65).

Anyway, for 2 channel, I'd go with a nice SET amp, a pair of M3s. The fancy CD player can come later. Some cheap and older CDPs are terrific like the JVC XL504. Some new and very inexpensive DVD players have terrific sound quality - for under $100 you can get a Toshiba SD-3960 or Sony DVP-NS575P (the Toshiba has even better sound quality but these are both great sounding players UNDER a $100.) What a world we live in!

M3s, an ASL MG S1 15DT (used) and the Toshiba would be a killer 2 channel system.

G'luck!

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.